Who hasn’t been awakened too early on a drowsy Saturday morning by the racket of gas-powered mowers? Gas-powered mowers are not just annoyingly noisy. They also emit about a dozen times more hydrocarbon than an average-sized car.
Reel push mowers have no carbon emissions, operate almost silently and start reliably. The only fuel they require is a good breakfast and adequate hydration. They cut grass cleanly, leaving a fine mulch to nourish the lawn without disrupting the surface of the soil.
Before Buying a Push Lawn Mower
Although the basic design of push lawn mowers is similar across brands, they do have unique characteristics that can add up to big differences. Before you buy, a little research can ensure you get the best push lawn mower for the money.
Some things to consider include:
- Cutting Width: Wider cutting widths allow you to get the job done faster
- Cutting Height: An adjustable blade makes it easy to cut your lawn exactly the way you want it.
- Weight: Heavier mowers can be difficult to push especially if you have a sloped lawn.
You will also want to consider characteristics of your lawn. Push mowers are best for smaller lawns. Certain types of trees, including those that drop gumballs, pinecones, many small twigs or seed pods, can complicate the process of mowing.
Reel push mowers can also be more complicated but not impossible to maneuver around flower beds and landscaping. For the best results, you will need to mow frequently, but your results will be velvety smooth and beautifully even.
Push Lawn Mower Reviews: Top 5 Value for Money Picks
Best Push Lawn Mower Under 250-300$
1. Gardena 4023 15-inch Silent Push Reel Lawn Mower 380
The Gardena lawn mower is quiet and easy to push. The cutting cylinder is steel and features a hardened, non-stick coating for a long-lasting edge and a precise cut. The cutting height can be easily adjusted as needed, and the handle folds for easier storage. The 12-month warranty ensures your mower will be repaired or replaced if it develops a fault, and if it is older than 12 months, you can still get a free estimate for repairs.
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to maneuver
- Bright, attractive colors
- Might not be effective on tall grass
- Can be difficult to get over exposed roots
2. Scotts 2000-20 20-Inch Classic Push Reel Lawn Mower
This reel mower has radial tires to manage any type of terrain and quick-snap adjusters to allow you to choose from nine cutting heights. It is sturdy thanks to its heavy-duty steel design, and it offers unparalleled mowing precision thanks to its five heat-treated blades. The reel hood prevents accidental damage to shrubs and overhanging plants. The mower is easy to assemble and is ready to use within minutes.
- Comes with a two-year warranty
- 20-inch cutting width
- Foam handle for greater comfort
- Can be less effective on tall grass and weeds
- Cannot cut close to borders
3. Great States 415-16 16-Inch Push Reel Lawn Mower
This push mower has cushioned handle grips for comfort and a 16-inch cutting width for efficiency. Its welded shrub bar protects low-hanging plants and shrubbery, and the cutting height can be easily adjusted according to your preference. It has a simple silver-and-black finish and is easy to assemble, and it comes with all necessary hardware. The Great States mower is built to last with steel and aluminum materials.
- Can easily handle uneven or sloped lawns
- Offers a smooth, manicured cut
- Good price for the quality
- Compact, lightweight and easy to store
- Not as effective on exceptionally tall or thick grass
- Regular lubrication needed to keep blades sharp
Best Push Lawn Mower Under 100$
4. American Lawn Mower 1204-14 Hand Reel 14-Inch Push Lawn Mower
With a 14-inch cutting width and adjustable roller, this push reel lawn mower offers a clean, precise cut perfect for turf grasses, including ryegrass, zoysiagrass, bluegrass and fescue. This small push mower features sturdy alloy steel construction and polymer wheels for durability, and the cutting height can be adjusted from ½ inch to 1 ½ inch. Protective plastic grips cover the zinc-plated handles for enhanced comfort while you mow.
- 90-day limited warranty
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Sturdy construction
- Efficient cutting
- Can be less effective on edges
- Can be difficult for some to assemble
Best Push Lawn Mower Under 200$
5. Fiskars Staysharp 18-Inch Max Reel Mower
The Staysharp mower combines the classic eco-friendly reel mower design with the most advanced technology and ergonomics for a mowing experience that is comfortable, efficient and easy. The InertiaDrive Reel boosts the mower’s cutting power by 50 percent while the StaySharp Cutting System reduces the need for regular blade maintenance, which can be costly and burdensome. One touch VersaCut allows you to change the cutting height to manage any length of grass. Thanks to these advances, you can do more with less work.
- 30 percent easier to push
- 17-inch cutting width
- Designed to cut all varieties of grass
- Adjustable handle height
- Three-year warranty
- Not designed to collect clippings
- Not as efficient at cutting tall weeds
- Higher priced than other models
What You Need to Know About Push Mowers?
The final step in getting and using your new reel mower is learning how to use and maintain it. These mowers are fairly intuitive, but they do work a bit differently from the gas-powered mowers most of us are used to using.
How to Mow a Lawn with a Push Mower?
People-powered mowing is a little different from power mowing. Learning before you start can help you avoid common mishaps.
- Remove any loose debris from your lawn before starting. Sticks, seed pods, rocks and other debris can damage the blade and slow your mowing progress.
- Trim the grass if it is overgrown. Lawns that are longer than four to five inches can be difficult or impossible to mow with a push mower, so use a weed whacker or trimmer to lower the height of the grass before mowing.
- Work in small sections. Adjust the blade to your desired height, and overlap each path to ensure adequate coverage.
How to Take Care of Push Lawn Mower?
Power mower blades spin and rotate much like helicopter blades, but reel mowers act more like scissors. Use a compressor or garden hose to clean loose grass out of your mower after each use, and spray with WD-40. Perform routine maintenance after every third use. Wear leather gloves to protect your hands. Apply cutting oil with a sharpening stone to keep the blades sharp. Check the wheels to ensure they have plenty of tread. Finally, grease the exposed gears periodically.
Conclusion: Finding Your New Mower
A great lawn mower can be an investment in your health and your landscaping. It can help you get a little more exercise in your day and cut your grass the environment friendly way. And do not forget to clean you garden after that!