Those brightly colored leaves that look so pretty on the trees probably don’t look anywhere near as nice blanketing your lawn. Unfortunately, raking the lawn can be back-breaking work. When you are finally finished raking, mulching and bagging, it is time to start the job all over again.
The frustrating cycle of autumn leaf removal might seem like it never ends! This can be doubly true if you have a large lawn or many trees. This year, you can spend more time enjoying the beauty of the season by using a leaf blower.
Things to Consider Before You Buy
You might be surprised to learn that leaf blowers are not just for leaves. These powerful blowers can be used to move grass clippings, seed pods and other lawn debris. They can make lawn cleanup a breeze so that you do not have to drag out your rake.
When shopping for the best leaf blower for the money, you might want to consider the following:
1. Blower or Vacuum?
Some blowers simply blow the leaves while others have vacuum settings that allow you to suck debris into an attached bag making yard cleanup even easier.
2. Handheld or Backpack?
If you want a handheld blower, look for one that is light and well-balanced. Backpack ones distribute the weight more evenly over your body, which makes even heavy ones less taxing to use.
3. Safety Features
Insulation will help reduce the risk of electric shock, non-slip handles help you maintain your grip and a quick shut-off switch makes it easy to stop work in an emergency.
5 Great Leaf Blower Options: Best Value for the Money
1. Greenworks 24012 7 Amp Single Speed Electric 160 MPH Blower
The Greenworks blower has a simple design that is easy to use and easy to maintain. It has a 7 amp mower that blows at two different speeds, including a high speed of up to 160 mph for maximum efficiency. The ergonomic design and 20-inch blower tube make this model easy to use, and the Safety Cord Lock keeps the cord securely locked into the outlet.
- 4-year warranty
- Energy Star-approved with zero carbon emissions
- Excessive vibration during use
- Extension cord may be needed
- No vacuum option
Best Leaf Blower Under 100$
2. Toro 51621 UltraPlus Leaf Blower Vacuum Variable Speed with Metal Impeller 12 Amp
The Toro UltraPlus Leaf Blower combines Toro’s most powerful blower with a high-performance vacuum and mulcher for an all-in-one tool for your lawn. This blower features an oscillating nozzle kit that reduces the strain on your wrist and variable speed controls that offer up to 250 mph speeds. The Shredz-All Shred Ring to power through debris.
It comes with the blower, vacuum bag, storage hook, blower tube and Power Insert for wet or heavy leaves.
- Vacuum function, tube and bag included
- Overly sensitive speed switch
- Extension cord needed
3. Black and Decker LSWV36 40V Lithium-Ion Sweeper/Vac
The Black and Decker Sweeper/Vac has a compact, lightweight design that makes it easy to use without compromising its efficiency. It can easily clear leaves and other lawn debris from hard surfaces, such as your driveway or deck.
When you are done clearing surfaces, you can then quickly and easily vacuum the debris into the attached bag. The blow tube has a built-in scraper to lift packed debris.
- Six speed settings
- Fast charging time
- Toggle for max power or runtime
- Energy Star-qualified charger
- Vacuum option and attached bag included
- 15-minute runtime
- Limited to light-duty jobs
4. Hitachi RB24EAP 23.9cc 2-Cycle Gas-Powered 170 MPH Handheld Leaf Blower
The Hitachi Handheld Leaf Blower features a commercial-grade, low-emission engine that blows 441 cubic-feet-per-minute and 170 mph velocity to handle those tough jobs. It is CARB Tier III-compliant. It is balanced and lightweight so that you can use it with less fatigue until the job is done and has a two-finger throttle for easier operation.
This blower has enough power for commercial use and an affordable price for private use.
- 7-year warranty
- Quiet operation
- Variable speed trigger
- Significant vibration during use
- For right-handed people: air intake on left
- No Vacuum option
Best Leaf Blower Under 200$
5. Makita BHX2500CA Commercial Grade 4-Stroke 24.5cc Handheld Blower
The Makita handheld blower has a commercial-grade engine and a consumer-grade price. Its fuel-efficient engine can save you up to 60 percent in fuel costs while its exhaust emissions are both EPA and CARB compliant.
It operates quietly thanks to its large capacity muffler, and the soft grip and cruise control level improve operator comfort and reduce fatigue. The Makita blower weighs just under 10 pounds and comes with a tool kit, round end nozzle and long nozzle for versatility.
- Heavy-duty blowing power
- Quiet operation
- Low vibration
- One-pull start
- Vacuum attachment not included
- Difficult-to-read instructions
How to Choose a Leaf Blower : Electric vs. Gas Blowers Comparison
Once you have decided to buy a blower, it can be tough to decide which type of blower you want. There are so many types, models and features from which you can choose. Both electric and gas blowers will get the job done more efficiently than raking alone, but they offer unique benefits.
Consider what you need and want from this versatile lawn tool. Comparing the two blowers can help you decide which is the right one for your needs.
- Electric blowers tend to cost and weigh less so are easier on your body and budget. Gas blowers can be as much as four times the cost of electric blowers and are often quite heavy to carry.
- Electric blowers are quiet with zero emissions. Gas blowers are noisy and polluting.
- Electric blowers achieve wind speeds of 50 to 100 mph and are good for light work. Gas blowers achieve wind speeds of 150 mph or more for heavy-duty blowing action.
- Corded electric blowers can keep you anchored to an outlet. Gas blowers and cordless electric blowers are more portable.
- Electric blowers require regular battery charging. Gas blowers need a special fuel mix.
- Electric blowers are good options for small lawns with little debris. Gas blowers might be the better options for larger lawns with heavier leaf fall and other debris.
Conclusion: Ready to Buy?
The best leaf blower for the money is a leaf blower can be indispensable to your lawn care needs. It can make light work of heavy-duty tasks like leaf collection and speed up lighter jobs like lawn clipping disposal. You can quickly and easily blow debris where you want it, vacuum it neatly into a bag and dispose of it appropriately.